Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Wants vs. Needs

In class yesterday, we had a lengthy discussion on the differences between wanting something and needing something. The things we think we need and the things we think we want end up in a gray zone that causes us to lose focus on the purpose of purchasing the item to begin with. Do we really need a shiny new BMW when that trusty Honda Civic has been getting you from Point A to Point B safely for the past few years? Do girls really need that overly expensive Coach handbag when a simple $20 handbag at a local thrift store serves the exact same purpose? Do guys really need to get every edition of Madden even though the only really noticeable changes are the roster changes? The line between wants and needs is blurred thanks to the subtle nudges from producers looking to gather whatever profit they can.

A great example of a product that blurs the line between wants and needs is the computer. When I first got accepted into UC Davis, I was given a sheet with requirements of a computer for use at Davis. I looked at that sheet and thought to myself, "Holy crap, they want something so advanced!" Granted at the time I spent my entire high school life tethered to a Windows 95 computer with a whopping 16 MB of RAM and 1 GB hard drive. I gave the information to my brother and he got me a computer that matched the requirements. I brought it up to Davis during move-in and stared in amazement at the speed and power of this machine. About a week later, I realized what I would be doing with this powerful machine: downloading, watching anime, listening to music and writing papers on Microsoft Word. This wonderfully powerful machine was reduced to doing menial tasks that my ancient Windows 95 computer could have taken care of. UC Davis is still attempting to trick students into thinking it needs high-end computers for school. I looked at the information and nearly fell out of my chair. These aren't the specifications of a computer needed for school. These are the specifications of a computer waiting to play some high end game on the best settings. They then had a separate page to list "obsolete systems" that were not suitable. As I examined the list, I saw that the computer I am using to type this entry does not even meet most of the standards on the "obsolete system".

Needs and wants, like most things in this world, are determined by each individual. Some people might "need" that 103 inch plasma television. I am perfectly content with the 24 inch television I have in my living room. I hope my "obsolete system" doesn't crash before I submit this post.

3 comments:

Christopher Schaberg said...

I'm typing on an obsolete system too; I feel so inadequate! This is a fascinating post, and you use the nearby example of the UCD computer recommendations very well: your reader can relate to this case in point, and be convinced that the ‘need’ and ‘want’ dichotomy is indeed absurd. And in the end, it is *not* the “individual” who decides between these terms—rather, these slippery concepts are ‘decided’ by a far more vast and subtle epistemological network (like UCD).

Purelavender said...

I find the requirements for a suitable computer handed out at Davis to be quite interesting. I was never handed that sheet of paper and knew nothing about an “appropriate” computer to use here at the University. During my first year, I just lugged my old fashioned thick monitor along with my modem to my new apartment and never once thought about it failing to work. After all, a computer should be able to perform the functions it was made for. The only thing I felt like I needed was a Microsoft program and internet to perform basic UC Davis work. I agree with you on how an old fashion computer will perform the same basic tasks as the high end computer. But I did end up buying a new laptop my second year because it was a more convenient size and harbor many advance functions that I don’t believe I will use. I just bought it because it was small, sleek, and my old system crashed. Therefore, I would have to say I upgraded it both because I need to and I choose a smaller laptop this time around because I want it that way. I guess wants and needs in this case can go hand in hand.
In addition, I want to comment on the part about choosing or wanting a coach bag over a thrift store bag that is a fraction of the cost. I personally think that the majority of us tend to choose the pricier, higher end item if we have extra money to blow. However, since I’m a poor college student who loves fashion, I tend to do what is beneficial for me. For instance, I personally own many cheap bags because I tend to get bored with using the same one. I would spend $20-$30 on a bag that I like and only use it for a few months, and never touch it again. This had become a bad habit and if all my bags were $200-$300 each, I think I would have to get two or three jobs to support my expensive habit. On the other hand, I do own designer handbags but they are just sitting in my closet collecting dust after a few uses. Thus, I figured I can just buy a bunch of inexpensive bags that I like rather than one expensive one. In the end, the affordable bags will benefit me more because they can last me about a year of usage rather than the designer bag that will probably join the rest of the other dusted bags in a few months. So that’s my philosophy on buying material goods that will benefit me according to my budget. Do what will benefit you and your habits. I mean by all means, if you have the money to splurge on expensive things, then go ahead. After all, money is made to be spent right?

Bernie said...

Like you said, we each all have our personal needs and wants. I know people who have to buy every new Madden or NBA Live or FIFA that comes out. I own Live '07 and '08 and you're right: only the rosters are different. The companies revamp the gameplay every few years...so I do not think it's necessary to own EVERY year's "upgrade" for the games because anyone can change the rosters (minus the rookies).
I think public perception of oneself plays a huge factor in how one feels. For example, driving a powerful, shiny BMW will probably make one feel more powerful and rich than driving a Civic. However, those who care more about the environment or don't care about how others think of them may opt for the Civic to help the environment and save money for something else.
I remember in elementary school when I was always given a materials sheet that we needed throughout the year on the first day of class. I would show it to my mom and she would tell me that at least half of the things that the school told us to get were useless (and she was right).
I don't really know where I'm going with this other than that not only do I agree with you, but I also believe that being somewhat selfish plays into the blurry line of needs and wants. I'm not saying that in a negative sense - being selfish is part of what makes us human.