Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The 4th of July main event

Since I will be out of town for the next few days with no internet access, I will write my third post of the week now so I have the three posts ready to be graded.

With the 4th of July weekend coming up, many people are going to be traveling with family or friends. Calvin mentioned that he would be going to Las Vegas with his friends. My housemate will be going to San Francisco for a party. The 4th of July weekend is always a great time for people to gather and relax for a few days. However, travel this year will be more difficult than ever. Extremely high gas prices are forcing more people to stay home than usual. The salmonella outbreak might make some weary of having the traditional 4th of July barbecue. While many of the "traditional" events we do during this holiday maybe cutback, one of the mainstays of the holiday will still remain: fireworks.

Fireworks are one of the most visually impressive sights we get to witness. I don't remember when the first time I witnessed a firework display was, but each year I look forward to the visual artwork on the 4th of July. We watch in awe as we hear the loud explosions and see the different patterns in the sky. The fireworks bring people together. We all gather and anxiously wait for the first explosions to light up the night sky. We witness, cheer and applaud the magical show.

Whether you choose to go out partying with friends or stay in and relax, I hope everyone has a safe and fun 4th of July weekend. You may have to pay an arm and a leg for gas, but here's hoping that the trip will be worth it and that new memories are made. For those who are going to enjoy the firework show, I hope the skies will be clear and you will be able to see one of the most spectacular displays known to man.

2 comments:

Christopher Schaberg said...

What is your argument in this post? I appreciate your humorous link to gas prices, and the way that you refer back to it in your last paragraph. But I wanted a critical take on fireworks, too. You could balance your admiration for fireworks with a critique of fireworks on the basis of consumption, for instance. I don't see how this post attains a critical-argumentative stance, and this was what we were trying to practice this week.

Jennifer Askari said...

Fireworks are my favorite part of the 4th (and BBQs). I think you should expore the facination of fireworks in your post--the beauty and power of nature, which fireworks represents. Check out this website:
http://www.thefireworkschannel.com/

Check out the introductions and some of the videos as well. Some videos have amazing pyrotechnics, while others take the approach of displaying peoples reactions (I tried embeding a video but it did not work. Under the videos like check out "Day-Time Castillos in Tultepec).

Maybe you could talk about what fireworks symbolize and why they do--independence (the 4th), new beginnings (New Years Eve).