Thursday, July 24, 2008

Good times


As I browsed through the various pictures I've taken, I came across this one that I forgot I had. It is a picture from my freshman year in the dorms here in Davis. This was taken on the day we were forced to leave the dorms. I lived in a suite in Thoreau Hall in the Cuarto area. It was a four room suite that was split amongst nine people. I shared a room with two others as witnessed in the picture. There were two people in each of the remaining three rooms.

I can be seen in the picture sleeping on the bed to the left. The look I have on my face is one of pure exhaustion after having three finals the previous day. Next to my pillow is my old cell phone which I used as my alarm at the time. In the middle of the picture is a loft bed with a desk underneath it. If you look carefully, you can see the toes of one of my roommates who is also still asleep in the picture. His area appears to be fairly messy as he has lots of random things in his drawers and on the floor. On the left of the picture is a familiar face. That is Truman, who is listening to music on his computer though it cannot be seen. We have been roommates/apartment-mates since freshman year here.

This picture shows various things very easy to see with the naked eye. Obviously, there are two people sleeping, one person listening to music, and random items strewn about as cleaning is still incomplete. However, there are lots of things that can't be seen from this picture, both tangible and intangible. In this image, you can see the desk of one of my roommates. However, my desk as well as Truman's desk cannot be seen because of the angle of the picture. The rest of the room also isn't shown, as there is a sink, three closets, and a shelf. There are many things this picture doesn't show. It doesn't show any of the camaraderie shared between my roommates and myself, or between all of us who resided in the suite. We would have dinner as a group, go out to try various restaurants on the weekends, play Smash Bros or Counter-Strike with or against each other, or just relax and watch some television or random video clips. While we had the occasional disagreement or argument, we always resolved them quickly and brushed them aside so we could focus on the better parts of life: friendships and having fun. Besides, it is natural to argue with the people you live with from time to time. It's just the way life is.

After looking at this picture and reminiscing about times long gone, one very simple, yet puzzling question remains: who in the world took this picture?!? I described the room, my roommates and the picture, but as you can clearly see, all three of us are in the picture. None of us would have been able to take the picture. To this day, I still have no clue as to who took this picture. My other suite-mates claimed not to have taken the picture. However, it is a very minute complaint to have, as this picture allows me to recall one of my most favorite aspects of college life: dorm life.


1 comment:

Christopher Schaberg said...

I find it hilarious that this hall is named after Thoreau, and it includes a little room for three people! (Was there a pond outside?!?) This is a classic picture—I feel like it probably eerily resembles any number of 'dorm room' images. (I think I have one of my college roommate and I from our freshman year—and we're still very good friends.) I also like how you reveal the photographer as a mystery; that makes for an intriguing picture post.